Monday, December 05, 2005

Napa Road Riding

So I got a little 30 miler in the other day, saturday to be exact. Did my normal route-Dry Creek to Mt. Veeder and home---an awesome ride in which I have about 2000' of climbing and practically no cars. The view from the top is incredible (not quite South Fork, but I gotta take what I can) and the descent is fast as you want (although a rider did die there last summer, really blew the wrong corner).

I was on my way out, it was cold for Napa, say mid 50's and I has a huffin' an a puffin' when I saw some rather ominous signs:

Hmmmm....

Should I ?....

Is somebody trying to tell me something?....

Well I said no sweat, I 've done this a ton of times before and never paid attention to the signs, so up I went. I must mention that the climb (for me ) is a bit of a bitch at first. My computer showed 14% @ 4.3mph for a few minutes and the groaning continued for about 10 minutes before leveling off a bit.

I took advantage of the break to try and snap some photos of the road:

Inspiration on Dry Creek. I always look back over my shoulder at this point and pretend I am really far out there (actually I am about 10 miles from home)


The road uphill....


The view from the top. No Mt. Lassen, but I did see Mt. Diablo in the distance and most of the valley...

So anyway, like I said, I normally never see more than 3 cars on the ride. Well today thse three were something different. When I was in Reddin', the cars consisted mainly of bitchen' cameros and trucks, total value per vehicle (not counting the meth in the trunk) was about $3000.

Napa is a little different, especially today. I was finishing up a little extended climb when I head a low rumble. Brushing past me first was a Mercedes McLaren SLR. Right behind it was a new Ford GT40 and not to be outdone, bringing up the rear was a Ferrari F430 Spyder, combined total of all vehicles...probably close to $750-800K!

McLaren SLR, ohh about $400,000 and very rare

Ford actually does make a car I would own-The GT40.


Pure beauty,the F430 Spyder, I think it's ONLY like $150-200K

So there I am drooling and panting and trying to catch up to snap some pics, but too bad, all I get to hear is the low rumble of their combined engines ans they motor away...

Napa. Funny...

3 comments:

Steve said...

Ha! Great blog! I wouldn't mind owning one of the cars.

I never thought of it this way but most bikes are worth more than the bitchin' camaros and firebirds (with full painted firebird on the hood). Don't you miss all the Meth Cowboys honking and swerving at you?

They're just jealous because you've got some Assos shorts (I am too).

Dadageik said...

Tell me about it! It wasn't until recently that my cars cost more than my bikes!

I do miss riding in Redding though, especially Whiskeytown, Twister and Mt. Shasta (the DH trails Cecil took me on were incredible). It was a true diamond in the rough— deal with some of the idiots that live up there (we have them here too)—while finding some great riding partners and friends like yourself to experience some really great trails.

As for the Assos, they are nice and my only pair-gotta go lower budget now that I don't have Kirby egging me on and more importantly now that I have a son whom I would rather spend money on (he has a new Specialized BMX bike, a camelbak and a Cannondale jersey at age 3)! Love seeing him ride though!

The Fun Park said...

Is Jake doing back flips and tail whips? You know he is going to want all the cool expansive bike gear. Get ready!!!

By the way…don’t blame me for your habits!!! I think I bought plenty of things after hearing “come on Kirby…it’s only a few extra hundred dollars. Lyn will never know.”.