Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tour of California-Napa Stage Highlights

I was really excited for today, my cycling heros were coming not only through my hometown, but on the roads that I typically ride!
Thankfully I was able to take the day off of work, coordinate with Curtis to meet up at 8:15AM and ride out to cheer on the likes of Ivan Basso, Levi Leipheimer, Bettini, Hincapie and others.

The route took them from flat lands of Santa Rosa up the 12% climb of Trinity road on through to Oakville Grade and across the valley. From there another big climb awaits-near Lake Berryessa before a long flat race through Davis and onto Sacramento.

Curtis and I met up with about 20 other Eagle Cycling club folks and set out Dry Creek road (at a blistering pace-a lot faster than I was prepared for this early) and the climb up the backside of Trinity (a whopper). All I kept thinking about was getting through the corkscrew and kicking it at the top to see the race.

It was awe-inspiring to see hundreds of people lined up cheering and ringing cowbells in support of the race. We hung out for about and hour and 45 minutes before the riders came screaming up the climb. Cari will be happy to hear that her Priority Health riders were in the top 3 to summit----gooooooooo Michigan (that's for you Cari). I snapped more pics of them than any other rider. I trained my little digital Elph onto the curve and set it to video. My location was prime, right on the inside of an uphill curve--it put me within inches of the riders (and team cars-scary).

Then I heard the roars of excitement and the ringing of the cowbells and here they came...Basso, Leipheimer, 2 more Disco boys and them the pack...what a rush! Thankfully I was able to capture a little video of Basso as he smiled and rode by like it was nothing. Let me tell you, the climb hurts mortals and these guys made it look easy.

After that we saddled up and had our pictures taken by the Press Democrat--Curtis, Peter and I all in the new Inglis/Retrotec jerseys made quite an impression (I'll check out the press democrat tonight to see if we made the cut)!

From there it was a sweet descent back down Trinity and up over Veeder on our way home.

I can not describe how cool it was to see your cycling heros in your home town, I can not wait until next year to share it with my son and wife (and brother hopefully too)!

Here's some pics and the video...

Basso Races by me and makes it look too easy!

Chalking up the road...


Specialized Angel; Chased by tons of bike dorks, she had what looked like white tire patches on her hole-y spandex (not a good look)


Priority Health Rider (for Cari)

Screen capture from my video-Basso close up

Screen capture from my video-Basso even more close up

Bettini had just got done blowing kisses to the crowd as he passed...

One more Priority Health Rider (for Cari)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKS SO MUCH for the video clip of Basso and the riders!!!

I've been such a huge fan of Basso's. It's so great to see him back on the bike racing again!

I'm in LA... I'll definitely go down to Long Beach on Sunday to cheer them on.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Nice vids!

The Fun Park said...

That's so cool it was in your back yard and you could ride your bike to the race. It is amazing at how easy they make it look. Great video of Basso.