Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Brother, can you spare a white belt?

The apocalypse is near, I just took delivery of a fixed gear road bike. Surly Steamroller to be exact, with sweeter than sweet Inglis fork. Andrew passed on the bike karma he received from a sweet purchase of and ANT bike by selling me his complete Surly and bag o' parts for a song. I have NO idea how I am going to do on this thing. Kinda mixed feelings of fear, unknown and excitement. My goal (as fleshed out in my head on my ride home from work last Friday---that's right, I am finally able to commute to work easily by bike...9 miles each way) is to learn to ride it, and use it as my commuter--thereby saving the IF from the bad roads and such....who am I kidding , save! I just wanted an excuse to buy a new bike (and to not focus on my problems for like 2.5 nanoseconds)! What the hell, I'll buy 2!! Down payment on Retrotec SS is finally shaping up. I almost feel like Stevo except my bikes are in a lower tax bracket!

Anyway, I guess I better get back to listening to this band you've never heard of, drinkin' my PBR and choosing the right bandana to wear around my neck...

Doin' the fixed gear proud.
Got my photo hints from BikeSnobNYC...let's see, washing machine? Check, Garage? Check. Bike propped up and snapped? Check...better pics to come sometime later.

Funny stuff along same lines , thanks to Steve at "How to Avoid the Bummer Life":



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you missing a top tube pad and Aerospoke wheelset?

Unknown said...

top tube pads have fallen out of style amongst the hippest of the hip. aerospokes, however, are on top of their game. bet their corporate marketing dept. never would have guessed that one.....

The Fun Park said...

That's kick butt Prosser. I trying to get mine put together within the next few months. We can share horror stories of knocking our teeth out.

Biker Boy said...

Hey Prosser...have you been out on it yet? I just got finished doing some hill climbing on mine. Just remember to always pay attention!

Dadageik said...

Nice work on the hill climbing B-rad...why don't you drop me your email address...

This bike was bought for commuting and trying something new...have already learned about paying attention on tight turns--the ol' pedal clipping the ground sends ass high into sky (thankfully no crash)!

Biker Boy said...

The worst is when you try to go over speed bumps or any bump for that matter and try to put the pedals at 3 and 9. I've been riding the fixed gear, also bought to commute in the rain winter months and have ridden it more than any of my other bikes since then.

E-mail is bradbcarpenter@gmail.com.

You headed up for the handbuilt show?