Saturday, December 13, 2008

I tried...

So like every 4-5 years my parents get a new whip...and since the economy is in the shitter and car dealers are serving up sweet deals, my dad called yesterday to say he was heading out to look at new cars today.

I jumped at the opportunity to run interference, this was gonna be the year they didn't get a Corolla...You see they've had 5 Corollas in  a row. Five. Corollas are nice enough, but damn, try a new flavor...



You gotta understand this goes back a loooooong way. Like 1984. 

Trade in Ford Fairmont on maybe a new thing called a mini-van. My brother and I were hyped on the Toyota mini-van, we took one home overnight. No-go. My mom did not like how you basically sat on bumper.

Plan B-Alfa Romeo Milano...I tried...hard...

No go...we got a brown 1984 Plymouth Voyager...

One loss.

Time passes and Corollas start coming and going.

5 years ago we set out in earnest. No Corolla. I thought I had my dad into a new Beetle. He had history with VW. Bought new bugs in 1954, 1967, 1972, 1974. We spent time at VW. he seemed sold. Went home, told my mom a Bug was in the cards...Rejected.
They went out the next day without us and came home with...a Corolla.

Today. Headed out with them in that Corolla. But I did my time online night before. Outlined, reviewed options...Honda Civic, Honda Fit, VW Jetta TDI, Subaru Imprezza, Mazda 3 sedan...had all of them on screen when I was picked up...to Toyota dealer we went.
Drive over I mentioned VW...."nah" said my dad.

At dealer they made bee line for 09 Corollas. I had no chance.

"Peep the Rav4"...I said
My mom liked it, walked back to Corolla.

My dad, at 73 was unflappable. He was getting a Corolla. All that needed to be decided was arguing with my mom on interior and exterior color.

DAMN!

Sensing my personal loss (like it's really a loss!--it's not my car, my dad is a grown man deserving of whatever he wants...and more), I settled into making sure they got a cool(er) Corolla...pointed toward Dark Grey XLE with sat radio, bluetooth, moon roof, alloys, CD changer, power everything ... They took the bait! 

Although my mom was totally against the steering wheel stereo/phone controls..."too dangerous"... they seemed to agree and like it.

4 hours later, Corolla 6 joined the family.




No big loss, I have my own life to lead...goal is set... my used Mini or maybe Nissan Qube is like 6 months away...


4 comments:

Biker Boy said...

My rents, well my mom as my dad has a company car, is stuck on Ford. They have had Fords for the past 20 years and maybe longer. First one that I remember was the mini-van. Then it was the Explorer. Years and years of them. At least she has down sized to the Edge this time. I have tried numerous times to get them into a smaller, more efficient car but to no luck. Good luck on getting a "new" ride. I'm moving towards a new bike for me!

Unknown said...

damn, I like that first corolla they had a LOT! those things are fly!

Steve said...

I agree....the ultimate Frisbee hub caps are sexy.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back posting again...missed your stories and this one is great. Sorry to read about your accident. When you fell, did you look around to see who was watching? My last fall (I only got skinned up) I had an audience..I told them I was fine, even before I knew I was...I think if I had broken anything I would still have said I was fine. the embarassment is worse than the injury. That said, you have company. Good photos, and glad you are back. Patrice (Stefan's Mom)