Monday, January 23, 2006

News: News!

This last weekend welcomed some new stuff at the ol' Babageik household-a dog and a bike both named Kona!
I know I am reporting on yesterdays news-my wife already posted this stuff, but hey, here it is again!

I made the big "jump" into another bike-this time a Kona A'Ha rigid singlespeed I picked up for $150 on Craigslist. Reason? Do I need one? OK, how about this-Steve got a new bike so I needed one? Actually I was gunning for a Seven Axiom road frame I saw on eBay, even had spousal approval to get it (only if I sold my Kestrel frame/fork, my Hawthorne, a set of King Hubs laced to CXP30's, our Caddy Yak and some blood---but hey, I did have approval!), and lost it by minutes when another well knowing bike dork used the buy it now before I could. Oh well, I guess I 'll stick with my Kestrel for some more rides (stick with and love-the bike is great), plus the Kona is friggin' sweet-practically brand new (minus some bent forks which I already replaced) with a sweet paint job and all original parts.

Oh yeah, the other part of Cari's agreement to get the Seven/new bike, was we would get a dog. Had we thought about a dog before? Not too much. Then it became the thing to do. My sister adopted a dog, my brother and his wife adopted a Katrina Rescue dog and well, we couldn't just stand by and NOT get on the band wagon...so the search was on. Cari spent roughley (get it, Roughley--I crack my self up) 36 hours on petfinder.org an animal shelter search engine before she found Kona the dog (currently named Missy by the shelter). Ol' Kona is 1 year old, a mutt—part shepard, part husky, part lab and according to Cari ( I havent actually seen Kona yet) is the damn sweetest, cutest thing around. I can only pray she eats cat crap!

I am excited for both Kona's and look forward to spending time with both of them on the trail...

Kona the bike. Replaced the bent front fork, recabled and ready to ride (wish I was). My first foray back to rigid mtn. biking in 10 years...

Kona the Dog-sweet pooch!

Kona the Dog redux-Did I say sweet pooch?

3 comments:

Steve said...

I like both of your Konas. Congrats on the new ride. Hopefully you are getting some sunshine and can get out to ride!

The Fun Park said...

Jake will love a dog! Nice ride!

The Fun Park said...

I forgot...guess who I'm hanging with this weekend? Dodd is in Chapel Hill, NC for the next few weeks so I'm heading there tomorrow night. Pray I make it back alive. I'll save a man hole cover for you.