Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Fo' Real Steel

Well, in with one bike, out with another as I say! The Kona SS lasted all of 3 weeks before my eyes wandered and caught something much more precious-a 2005 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel SE. Yup-complete with the ol' King (or is it O'Rourke now?) Patriot headset, Ouzo Pro fork, thomson seatpost, custom paint and sterling silver headbadge.

I HAD to have it.

I willed myself to have it.

I had to ask my wife.
(Insert screeching brake noise here)


Went something like this:


I sent it as an email (of course-the pansy way) that ready, "Can I buy this" Pic of bike attached.
I waited impatiently for a reply.

Got the reply-

"What about the Kona you just got? And I thought you were going to sell some bikes/parts for the Kona? What did you sell?"

To which I said,

"Uh, nothing". "But I PROMISE to sell the Kona (who needs 3 SS bikes anyway?), my King cross wheelset, some carbon road shoes (the pink Telecom Adidas I never wear) and anything else to fund it."

Cari's stern reply-

"No buying anything until you sell."

So sell I did. Straight to eBay. Unloaded the Kona for 4 times more than I paid. Sold the King wheels for probably less than they were worth. The Adidas Telekom shoes-uh yeah. Funny thing, our new dog "Kona" loved the taste of them-seems they were not far enough out of reach being up on my workbench-and promptly laid waste to yet another pair of my shoes.

My end covered, Cari cautiously agreed-with the caveat that this be my LAST bike purchase for some time (time is relative-right?)-and I pick the bike up on Friday.

Can't believe I am going back to steel! And from a full carbon bike-my beloved Kestrel. But there is something about the IF that draws me in. I wish it was Ti, but I don't have nearly enough income to cover that kind of purchase, so steel will do...

I just finished up a logo design for a bike industry friend and will be adding a new set of Syntace carbon bars and stem along with the drivetrain (Dura Ace), carbon cranks and Ksryiums from the Kestrel to the IF. I look forward to doing a couple of centuries on this new ride and maybe a 2-3 day'er with ol' G-Money up th e coast pretty soon. I am sure I won't be disappointed...
Some pics of the frame I pick up on Friday...

3 comments:

The Fun Park said...

Cool bike…but what you went through with Matt Bracken…why? I cannot believe you’re closing the chapter on the Black Stallion. Who is going to be my partner in crime? On another note…great score. I would have to believe it’s going to ride like a champ. Make sure you put more photos on your blog when you get it all put together. Kick G-Money's ass and spray windex in his eyes!

Dadageik said...

Yeah-IF were some interesting folks! Where else could we (as bike industry insiders) get a bro deal for almost retail! Oh well we did ONLY sponsor them with like 20 HS and 20 pairs of those cheap ass hubs (kidding). Well, the deal was way too good-a lot closer to what I wanted to really pay when we looked at them-so I bought it.Ride like a champ? Maybe-probably more like a chimp.
I am really on the fence on my Kestrel-I still love the bike so much! I just let my NEED to upgrade (at the same pace as my friends--a practically impossible task) for the next good lookin' machine!
As for G-Money, he kicks my ass on the rides (you all do), but windex doesn't need no finish line!

Steve said...

Glad to see that you got a new ride! The IF looks nice.

Did you catch any of the EPO Tour as it went through your backyard?