Monday, March 27, 2006

The Crown Jewel

So I have had the Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel SE for a little over a month now and thought I would share a few pics and thoughts about the build and the ride for my reader.
Hmmm, where to begin?

I was all gung-ho at first, tempted by the beautiful paint job and thought of a "new" bike. But then the doubt and concern crept into my head. What about the Kestrel? You love that bike. Will the Indy ride as well as the trusty carbon steed? These questions and many others were tempered by my impatience and desire to get a new bike though. I am happy to report that after 200 miles in the saddle, I am a happy rider of a trusty steel steed.

I recently completed some freelance design work for a bike industry friend and had a sweet new set of 31.8 Carbon bars and stem to try out. They only fit 1-1/8 bikes so I HAD to get a new bike (right)? Of course. I swapped out all the other parts from the Kestrel and set about building her up one weekend. It should be noted that although I do not have photographic evidence, the ONLY way the bike would be set up correctly (ie shifters working right and adjusted-as well as patient guidance dispensed with no qualms)-was if my much more adept wife was there. Yes, I am proud to say Cari is a MUCH better mechanic than yours truly. She has patience by the handful and a true ability to set up and adjust the shifters on my bikes. Thank you very much Cari!

The parts on the ride? Pretty straight forward.

The frame is a 2005 Indy Fab Crown Jewel, 54cm with Custom paint. Uses 853 main tubes and Foco rear end
Fork is Reynolds Ouzo Pro w/Carbon Steerer-learned to like this one- Has a bit more deflection than the Kestrel, but is very confident in handling
Cranks are FSA Superlight Carbon-non compact with a Shimano Ultegra Octalink BB
Brakes, Shifters and Derailleurs are Dura Ace 9speed
Headset is a King Patriot, got it with the frame
Thomson Elite Seatpost, also came with the frame
Stem is Syntace F119 with Ti Bolt kit
Handlebars are Syntace 31.8 Carbon 44cm
Saddle is the awesome Fizik Arionne-very comfy for long days in the saddle
Wheels are my Gucci set of 4 year old Ksyrium SL's (remember Steve-I sold you my original Ksyriums to finance these!) Still totally true, no adjustment needed and flawless
Tires-Michelin Pro Race Service Course
Pedals are Speedplay (watch out for the slightest hint of dirt)

Here are some pics of it the other day. Sorry about the quality, but with a dog and 3-1/2 year old running the joint, you gotta take what you can and get out!











The Daring Duo-Jake and Kona

My mechanic muggin' for the camera!





1 comment:

Steve said...

It's beautiful! Looks like a ton of fun to ride.

Ah yes, the Ksyriums! I still have them and they are my dedicated cross race wheels. Still true (I think).