Monday, April 10, 2006

Winning the Ride

This is NOT you*.
* My apologies to Floyd, Ivan or Jan in case I actually see you on the roads of Napa-in which case it COULD be you.



This is just a quick rant I need to get off my chest concerning my fellow cyclists. I am out there pretty much every weekend (thanks to my generous wife and understanding son) on a 30-50 mile ride around the valley. I see a few cyclists here and there and I always make it a point to at least acknowledge and say hello to all I pass.

My gripe?

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but not getting a return hello, wave, head nod or grunt really pisses me off! More times than not, the slight comes from some over-weight (not like I am one to talk, but at least this fat-ass says hello), Postal Service kitted out, Trek OCLV riding cool guy. I guess you could replace the Postal Kit with any of those sweet Primal Wear things too.

It's not like these guys are really flying by or too busy/occupied to return the wave either. So what is it?

I find myself asking this over and over in my head for at least 5 seconds after the incident takes place. One thing that keeps popping into my thoughts is the old "Win-the-Ride" mentality.

When I used to be more involved with group rides, we used to have a saying for some of the local hot-rods-you know the ones-always off the front, usually frantically spinning the gears and bouncing all over the saddle-all in a quest to win a casual group ride. It happened on the road and on the dirt. The champ would always have to reflect on how much further behind you were, and how much faster they could have gone. I always used to think,"WOW! You're really gonna kill in your next beginner mtb race or CAT IV road race. With such powerful wins on group rides-I am sure there is nothing that stands between you and 15th place other than 14 other people."

Well guess what? They won! Uhhh, nothing...



I have so much more respect for folks that I ride with that don't have to tell me how powerful they are and constantly race for the win. I'll always choose to ride with the kind of folks that actually enjoy the ride, help others learn more about being a better, more powerful and competitive cyclist through encouragement and truly show the friendship that cycling has to offer...guys like Kirby, James, Steve-folks that I know can destroy me and pretty much anybody I can think of, but ride for the joy of it...

OK there-it's off my chest...

4 comments:

mooTi22 said...

Sorry, I will say hello next time I blow past your slow-@ss butt!

XOXO

The Fun Park said...

I appreciate your kind words Ken. I have watched you clean some section in Tahoe that made me cry. I can not agree more about the etiquette on the road. I was out on a ride today during lunch and had the same experience. Well actually….I have the same experience almost daily. I too do the same thing. For a few seconds after words I ask myself….what the %&^$ was wrong with that guy! Maybe I don’t look pro enough our I don’t have the correct wave down. All and all I do end up laughing about it because it has got to be extremely difficult to act so cool.

Steve said...

Damn stuck up pieces of anal excrement! I think they don't say hello because they want to keep their heartrate below their lactate threshold. Since most of them train once a week you gotta make it count! Oh, as for the huge stomach weekend I don't say hi to you warrior thing....it's diaphragmatic breathing....according to them, not the extra box of twinkies they downed before the ride.

I hate that the attitude is widespread. Maybe they should ride horses instead of bicycles.

The Fun Park said...

Update on cyclist….last week 3 out of 10 (roadies not dirties) either waved or said hey in passing. Yea baby...you have got to love it. After really analyzing the situation, the ones that did not wave more less looked the other way when we meet and looked like they were about to die. Maybe the ones that are to cool for us are training at such a high intensity that they cannot afford to lose any unnecessary energy. Waving would be bad energy lose and maybe their hart rate might spike which would cause an increase in lactic acid. That might cause them to cramp up and slow the pace down. Their heart rate might come down to much and they will crash. Maybe I need to quite waving at people so I can become faster. Hum...