Sunday, March 04, 2007

I Heart Handmade Bikes

Saturday found my family and I off to San Jose to spend some time drooling at handmade bikes at the North American Handmade Bike Show (NAHBS). Our friend and neighbor Curtis Inglis was displaying his Retrotec and Inglis bikes and so where friends from long ago—MIke DeSalvo and even Chris King was on hand to share their wares.

Now being a certified bike addict and jumping at any chance to see and possibly acquire more bikes, it was a given we were going and we were going to spend some time looking.

It was all there for the viewing, lugs, lugs and more lugs. Steel by the mile. Paint jobs you had to see to believe. I am really into supporting American made bikes whenever I can. Sure Treks and all the different stickered carbon frames from Taiwan and China are cool to look at, but meeting the people behind the bike and seeing how personable, intelligent and like-minded they are...well it's a no brainer. Plus it was really laid back and not like Interbike with all the ultra cool people and pay-for-play female models. You could take your time, meet th emakers and have real conversations, not like my experience (both working and attending) at Interbike.

It was also a weird trip, putting me in the way-back machine to a time when I worked in the bike industry (a life-long goal), for a company I believed in (Chris King) and who was responsible not only to cycling, but also the environment and society. A far cry from my work with fried food and bottom line corporations now. Anyway, I learned an incredible amount during my time with KIng, not just about bikes, but more importantly about myself and what I am able to handle (workload, asking intelligent questions, thinking things through). I was actually nervous to meet Chris, but once underway it was great to see him and do a little catch-up after 5 years apart.

I could go on and on, but I'll try to let me pictures do most of the talking. They aren't the highest quality as it was pretty crowded and we were a bit rushed to move on to other things, but I think they capture some of the sights...If you want more pics, check out Cari's Blog or Cycling News, they have great images too.


BTW—My favorites were :
1. Retrotec (of course, especially since I have a SS, pink twin MTB on order)
2. DeSalvo Cycles; Mike's attention to detail and cool attitude are refreshing, plus he's made bikes for most of my friends
3. Vanilla Cycles; Sweet frames, cool company, 4 year waiting list! We spent a long time talking with Scott from Vanilla and now I have a bug in my head to just maybe put a deposit down on one for 4 years from now...



Sweet lines of Curtis' Retrotecs, can't wait to get mine (in 6 months)


Inglis Townie Curtis built for his wife MItzi (or was it himself?...)


I love the new Inglis headbadge...reminds me of Italian cars from the 50's


Roark. Liked the raised logo and shiny bits


Nice lugs, they were everywhere! Plus the pink was cool.


Jake wanted a little bike, but he wanted blue. OK. Let's buy one!


Waterford Flame Lugs


Close Up of the Waterford Flame Lug


More curvy goodness from Retrotec...


New Retrotec logo is cleaner, but I really like the Inglis one better...hmmmmm


Sweet fork stops on a Bohemian frame. Took me a bit to figure them out


Calfee is doing crazy things with carbon strands. Evidently it was ride-able.


Another look at the Calfee bike. My brother said it looked like the circulatory system. I agreed.


Jake admires another Calfee made out of carbon, bamboo and featuring real bull-horn bars. That'll clear the path!


Willits. I met Wes at my first Interbike, he is a big 29" proponent. Gary Fisher ripped off the 29er thing that same year.


Detail shot of the wood inlaid fender on the DeSalvo townie. Yummy.


Vanilla Bikes tricycle. Phil Wood wheels. Lucky kid!


Jake kickin' it with a sweet Indy Fab track bike.


Golden Indy Fab. Headbadge was real gold too. Wow!


Pink, just like I like 'em.


Richard Sachs lugs. Amazing!


Pegoretti. Handmade Italian bikes, wild paint jobs.


More luggy lugs.


Sweet Inglis paint job from Spectrum. I was there when Curtis received the bikes. Opening the boxes and handling them was nerve-wracking!


Another sweet take on an old bike, with Spectrums nice paint work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, thank you for posting such great photos. I wish I would have went buy I was pretty spent after work on Friday. Maybe next year.

I'm with you. Carbon bikes are pretty but when you get down to it nothing beats a handmade bike!

Did you see a Seven IMX cross bike (drool, drool, drool)?

The Fun Park said...

The photos are great! I love having a handmade bike. There is a lot of pride that goes with owning one. This looks like a way better show vs. Interbike.

I cannot wait to talk to my neighbor and see what you thought of the show.

I'm glad you got to talk to Chris. I hope his doing well. I have been meaning to call him.