Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Commute-ed Sentence

So I have been at my new job over 2 months and love the fact I work so close to home (9 miles away by bike), can see my family before 8PM and can ride my bike into work. I picked up a Surly Steamroller from Andrew and dialed it in for my daily commuter (one issue, I need to replace the rear cog on it, gearing is too hard ...44/14, me not strong enough. I mistakenly thought the new cog was the same 16T I had on old wheelset...oops. Not to mention Andrew used the strength of 10 baboons to afix 16T to old wheel. It will be swapped soon).

I have been fortunate enough to get 2 back to back days on it, so almost 40 miles on a fixed gear (bringing grand total to like 55 miles).

Likes? Silence, simplicity, cost, Inglis fork, brown paint, riding into and from work.

Dislikes? If I had to list any they would be short; gearing is too tall for me (my mistake), the 2 miles on highway is freaky (folks preoccupied with either going to or coming from work), and today -the wind! It was howling, right in my face...coupled with gear choice it hurt bad. I made lemonade though, shot a bunch of pics (see my flicker page) and just enjoyed being out.

Here's my cheesy video to show you the river trail and fog I enjoyed this AM...



In other news, I have to calm down on my eBay spending. I resolved, after missing my opportunity to attend the NAHBS, to use the money I would have spent getting there and at the event on new cycling gear. My secondary justification was to use one month's ferry pass money (which I no longer pay--yee haaa!) for said endeavour.

What did I get?
New Swobo knickers ---damn fine gear, really heavy material, comfy and just warm enough, plus they're wool
A Rapha Winter Jersey---no way I could afford "new", found a slightly used one on eBay and snapped it up buy-it-now style. It's like a slice of heaven on my top. I wish it wasn't made in China, but I must say, they have some great 6 year olds sewing this stuff.
Twin Six Wool Sox--Like this brand, like that the socks have pink on them
A couple of t-shirts to wear off the bike
A cheapo wheelset for the fixed gear---all black, laced in USA

Anyway, I am done with the eBay, freaky how it creeps up in my life and dominates---too easy to find anything you want. Now my money goes to family, yard improvement and new Retrotec SS...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like the simplicity, get a dynohub. A Shimano 3N70 and a Lumotec Oval Plus Senso is commuting bliss. Never think about batteries again. Pedal and go.

The Fun Park said...

Seeing you wearing the rain jacket and the water proof back pack brings back lots of commute memories with you in Redding.

Anonymous said...

Dare I ask what a deal on a Rapha jersey is?