Saturday, September 20, 2008

Following Up on that Political Ass

OK, quickly...

My previous post, represented a portion of my frustration with the media today. The stories I have been seeing and reading, in multiple outlets both right and left leaning had Paulin and Co. reaching for new levels of muck-racking and BS slinging. The aforemetioned article came along when I hit the max I could stomach from the campaign. Do I stand for EVERYTHING it speaks of? No.

A little background might be necessary:

I am a white male

I am a single father

I make just enough to provide for myself and my son, savings currently are not an option

I work hard, I take pride in my work

I don't own stocks or bonds, have much of an IRA or money for that matter

I am responsible for myself-both my mistakes AND my successes

I recognize more clearly as I have been getting older that personal responsibility is NOT something a lot of folks in my country have or accept. It's way too easy to place the fault/blame/cause on someone else than to see it was YOU that made the choice (good or bad) and it is YOUR responsibility to handle it.

I am happy to live in the USA, at least we can (currently) continue to have these discussions, disagreements, alternative views and personal expressions. 

I spend most of my time outdoors-cycling mostly, although hiking and kayaking happen too. Main thing, I respect the outdoors, nature and the environment. Not enough to burn SUV's or Ski resorts, but enough to know that it is MY responsibility to do MORE to maintain them and their freedom/wild-ness/access. That includes recycling more, re-using more, being more mindful of my impact on the planet. That is MY impact. And that will be ever-evolving. I'm not perfect, but I am (daily, weekly, monthly) trying to do more, no matter how small. No preaching, but I will defend what I hold close and that is outdoors and my time in them (and my Jake's time in them).

I do not think one party is really that much "better" than the other. However, I will not stoop to immature name-calling, partisan BS, succumbing to media frenzy, close-minded, "that's how my parents voted-so will I"... I am not so naive that I think Dem or Rep. is going to solve the countries problems. Nor do I think either party really gives a rat's ass about me (middle class). I wasn't impressed with the current administration EVER. As a matter of fact, the last election really being the first  (sadly) I paid ANY attention to or voted in, pretty much destroyed my confidence in the system. It was devastating to see our current president win- on so many levels, that I made a pact to myself to learn more about the process and candidates and be more involved "next time". Well, I have-somewhat. Not sure I could ever REALLY get the whole, complete, true, un-adulterated version from EITHER party. But I make my decisions based on MY personal beliefs, needs and ideals---NOT (not ever) what a media outlet or 6 o'clock news story dictates.

I am in the rather large portion of America who impulsively (and in hind-sight--.isn't that always the case!?--regret allowing my impulses, family and societal pressures push me to purchasing it in the first place. But I do understand no-one forced me into it, and given that knowledge, understand it is MY responsibility-both to succeed or fail in its ownership) purchased a house for WAY too much on loan terms that pretty much guarantee that I will not own it anytime soon or ever. I pay a bank rent and hope that shit doesn't go too bad in terms of interest rates and such. I know that the "powers that be"-banks, mortgage brokers, lenders, knew shit wrong, but still raked suckers like me in hand over fist--it's the "American Way" dollars are almighty--while they could. Again, only in hind-sight could I even see what a mess I was entering and how folks with money would keep it and folks without, well they'll continue that way.

Where the hell am I going with this?

Reading my good friend's and my sisters reply to my previous post has me wondering if I am on the same planet. 

To blindly say as my sister says, "I wish more people could hear them instead of the negativity we get fed through the media in articles like these liberal hate pieces that do nothing to inform anyone of what either candidate stands for or what their character contains."

"Liberal Hate Pieces"--have you listened to YOUR candidates banter lately? I mean come on. That's what led me to the story in the first place. And that's what I took away from the piece as well--how one side can say all the shit they want and not substantiate it, and have it accepted as gospel-while the other is vilified? 

Think please. For yourself.

Anyway, that's kinda the point of all of this for me. We all are thinking for ourselves. I'm not one to say my thoughts/beliefs/ideals are any better than yours or his or hers. But I am entitled to them as much as you are to yours. That's the great thing about our country and the thing that makes me proud to be an American. We can agree to disagree and no one will die over it. 

The more folks (myself included) think—and I mean REALLY Think about what you stand for, why and how it affects not only yourself, but everyone/thing around you—the better off we will be as a country. 


2 comments:

The Matulich Family said...

As I had stated, there is negativity on both sides. Yes I am a very proud republican. Do I always vote republican? The answer is no (I regrettable voted for Bill Clinton TWICE, since he was the lesser of two evils). I have always paid attention to EVERY election as it is something that dad and a poli-sci teacher in college showed me is very important in this country. I am not the naive little girl you think I am.

As for my beliefs... I believe in the importance of family, morals and self reliance. I do not want the government interferring in my life telling me what I can and can't do. They are there to set laws that the people want, and not just totax us to death for their own self interests. I get so tired of having to hide my beliefs from my MANY friends and family who are liberal as though I am ashamed of them. The strange thing is, we are not as different when you look below the surface.

As for the "liberal hate pieces" remark. Since Sarah has been nominated, she has been villified to the extreme and that piece is just another example. I am aware that Sarah Palin is not the most experienced...however what she has accomlpished in a short amount of time is amazing, and the attacks on her daughter are totally unjustified. The fact that her daughter is being raked through the coals for getting pregnant... It seems that the people are angry that she isn't getting an abortion which is what is wrong with this country. Instead of going through the horrible prossess of aborting a child, she and her FIANCE are going to stick it out with the help of the families behind them.I was made to go through the process of an abortion, not willingly since my baby did not develop a heartbeat, and let me tell you, you would have to be a sick person to do that willingly. It is extremely painful, and emotionally draining. To this day it kills me a little bit to think of what happened and how it is done and what I lost, even though I had no control over the situation. Would I repeal Roe v Wade, no. As I believe that the government shouldn't be involved in a woman decision in the first place, which is what Sarah Palin stated in a recent interview.

I am glad that you are looking more into politics and hope that you are weighing both sides fairly. As for me I judge my candidates, by not only what they are saying, but their character as well. It is naive to think that a mans or womans character doesn't matter in an election.

Take the time to look at both mens lives, and how they have lived them and the company that they have kept. Decide from there, because, trust me, their character will follow through to the White House.

For the record, I started out as a card carrying Democrat, moved to a card carrying Independant, and now am a card carrying Republican. I have also voted in every election since being able to vote and taken the time in each election to educate myself on what is going on on both sides of the isle.

The Fun Park said...

I never believed you fully agree with this Tim guy. You and I have a lot more in common then we want to give credit to.

About the lending practices…did you now back in 1992 Clinton and the Democrats starting saying banks were being racist by not writing enough loans to minorities and immigrants? The banks were told it’s now law that they need to write so many loans to minorities and immigrants per year. The banks said, unfortunately the people that get turned down cannot afford the loans or the homes they want and it’s not based on color but income. The government said that has to change. Banks were no longer allowed to ask for id, income verification, and so one. The government also told banks Fannie and Freddie would back these loans. So now the banks had to loan money to people with bad credit, no money to put down on a home which created very high LTV (loan to value) loans. Banks were giving these people loans that were in the range of 97% to 120% LTV and the people could apply for additional help through other government programs. So banks were now being forced by law from our government to loan money to people who shouldn’t have access to that type of credit. Who in their right mind would think this is a good idea…. no one but our government. Now this isn’t the only problem with the banking industry. Trust me, there were several bad lenders out there but the government has played a huge roll in our current problem. Bottom line is loaning money to everyone who wants it is unfortunately not acceptable and not racists. There is a level of risk someone (or banks) are willing to take to loan money, and possible not loan money. The higher the risk, the higher the interest, and shorter the payment option is going to be. Think about it as money in your pocket. How would you loan money to a stranger on the street in order to get it back, and make a little money for your risk? I want to also add that the Republican Party jumped on this bandwagon with the Democrats. So this problem was a function of the government as a whole. All I have to say is look at Fannie and Freddie. Know one has gone to jail or really held responsible for cooking the books. Now they are asking us for more money? Are you kidding me? The people at Enron went to jail why not the people in charge of Freddie and Fannie?

Why don’t I want more government in my life? This is only one small reason why I don’t believe in our government. They need to get out of our financial and personal life and go back to what they were supposed to do in the beginning. This is the main reason why I lean towards being a conservative.