Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Is it really September?

I am totally trippin'--I can not believe it is already September. I mean, I used to think time was going fast, but this year, well there has been a lot of major things going down, but damn--September???

What's been going on? Most major bit the last month(s) was SSWC08.

The event we have been working on for almost a year, the gathering of 400 single-speed bike racers/riders/freaks/friends—it's done. Went off better than anything I have ever been a part of. Maybe it was the long time-line. Maybe the lack of formality. I dunno. I do remember sweating the details A LOT more for cross races we put on at King in Redding-and those were pulling like 30-50 riders, MAX!

There's plenty been written about the event, see our blog SSWC08 for more words and pictures than you can shake a stick at. 

Like I said, it was awesome-I met so many great folks-old friends (Kirby and Jason came from North Carolina, Grady and Johnoss up from Ess Eff, Squiggles  got out of Reddin' for a day, Steve Tam, Jack Fraser from Portland (if only for a minute), Mike DeSalvo made it down, and my new buds from Yerup--Olle, Boe, Patric and Co., heaps of riders from Cali and beyond---incredibly awesome-even for a somewhat jaded old-bike industry guy.

We did incredible rides each day before our event, each time seeing more people appear-raising my heart-rate, but also truly exciting. 60 people at Annadel, 70+ at Tamarancho, 100 for the ride over the GG Bridge to Kirby Cove...damn fine. Rocked Napa Bowl like they could never have expected and ate Michael and crew out of food at Azzurro 3 nights in a row...

The event went off spectacularly-the run around the corral, the extra loop I talked the team into adding, the spectators, the beer and the outfits! Even Jason, Mr. Serious Racer, rocked the tighty whiteys for 3 laps! (Who would have ever thought the underwear pics would be the favorite of male fetishists all over Flickr!). I did not race, no way, but I did heckle the shit out of folks. All in good nature of course, but so fun! Got to take the winner to the Tattoo parlor to see Carl and Rachel (newbies to ink) get their Scarlet Letters.

I was taken completely by surprise at the raffle, when Curtis and Co. called me onstage and gave me a certificate for any Surly frame I wanted-for volunteering! 

Curtis, Mitzi, Jefé, Sean, Andrew and everyone---I would have done it all for nothing. That shit was too cool for words. I just can't stop smiling and thinking how we did it...we freakin' did it right! Thanks so much for letting me be a part of the madness. What's next? Wildcat in Napa? Parakeet? CX in Napa?...

Then it was over.

From my end, it is somewhat bittersweet. Or as Mitzi called it-post-partem depression--the "baby" was born, now what do we do? 

Mostly back to business as usual, daily life, mortgages, relationships...funny thing, I like being driven by goals, large projects, so maybe I need to take the time to work on something(s) even bigger.

One I can think of that is highest priority-my son. I have some great plans for that one. One thing that my situation has afforded me, in it's deepest darkness, is clarity. He is the most important thing and I have a lot to do in that regard.

We got a 6th birthday coming up...a new big-boy bike on the way (with disc brakes AND a shock!)...new adventures to plan, a future to really start saving for and being a part of...

Freaking September! I  still can't believe it is 2008!

1 comment:

Steve said...

KP-that was such a great event. I had a blast. Wish I had a couple of days off to do the rides before hand. Cool...so which Surly you gonna git? Jake should be super stoked 2-oh!

Thinking of coming down and watching the Lion of Fairfax cx race. Interested? Gotta chat with your neighbor about a bike too.