Sunday, November 04, 2007

11/4 Update

So November is here and my birthday is right around the corner...what else is new??

Really good news from my physical therapist on Friday. After doing 5 push ups, 5 reps of this dumb-bell push-up exercise and some poking & prodding by my doc, I was given the official, "Ken, you're done".

That's it! Just as quick as my accident happened, it is over. I have a couple degrees of motion to fully regain, which will come about through stretching and exercise, but other than that, I am good to go. Strange to be here, but very happy. Who would have ever thought a simple little ride in July would lead to this!

To celebrate I did the Saturday morning ride with the Azzurro crew and then spent an glorious hour at Alston with Jake, Curtis and Curtis' neighbor Jeffery.

Jake has moved up to another new bike, this is a 20" Specialized. He still has his 18" Redline, but that bike's long cockpit and really skinny tires make for a real challenge in the rough dirt. On this new bike, he really centered on a long wheel base, has nice big tires and a more upright position. It'll be a bike he definitely grows into and shares ride time with his Redline.

Here's the 20" Specialized Hot Rock he's on now:





Here's what he used to ride,a 12" Specialized Hot Rock. Jake sold it to another lucky kid on Craigslist (teaching him the sort-of rule that every new bike in-means one goes out...we sometimes live by this!)




I was amazed at how well he was doing on the trails! He totally started by himself and was leading Jeffery on some scary (for me as a dad) stuff. The scream of joy he let out upon flying down the biggest hill he's ever tried both scared the hell out of me and made my heart glow with the sheer innocence and joy of it all (for him). The two boys had a blast and later sessioned a sweet little ditch. It was hard to get them to leave!

Jake and Jeffery are all smiles after a good day riding at Alston Park!


Check out these videos of the day:



1 comment:

Steve said...

Nice!

Great to hear you're done with PT.

I don't get it....one bike in one bike out?