Saturday, March 01, 2008

Grasshopper #1



Today marked my second "race" of the year. I say "race" because for me, for my fitness level and shape, it is far from being competitive, it's closer to being alive.

As my life takes an entirely new direction, I made a vow to myself to not succumb to utter sadness and negativity. Although not easy and not accomplish-able everyday, I intend to honor my personal vow and do what I can not only for my mental well-being but my physical as well. That means riding my bike more. It means pushing myself a little bit harder than before to see what I can actually do when I set my mind to it. The application will be applied not only in cycling, but also in my highest priority, my son, and my everyday life.

To that end, I come to my second race this year. The first in a series known as the Grasshopper. Most are held in the rugged hills around western Sonoma county and involve a road bike at times, a cross bike at times and you guessed it, a mountain bike. Today's journey was 50 or so miles on paved and unpaved roads/trails via the recommended cross bike. All told there ended up being about 5000' or so of climbing which kicked my butt. The leaders crushed the course in 3 hours. I survived the course in 4.

My weapon of choice was my trusty Cannondale XS800 which has been with me longer than any of my bikes (had it for 8 years), taken me up and down Romero Canyon in SB, from Halfmoon Bay to SB on HWY 1 and all kinds of adventures in between. On Curtis' recommendation I swapped teh cross tires (knobby bits) out for my 28C Conti Top Touring 2000's. In hind sight, I think a knobby rear would have been a better choice, but I made it through upright and in one piece! Swapped seat out to my Fizik Arione for comfort and basically kept the headshock in the "on" position for 40+ rough miles---that 1" of travel is nice on rough roads--especially with the aluminum frame.

Walking was involved on the last climb as my upper legs were doing that thing they do just before a serious 2 legged cramp. I must say it was incredible! The feeling I got, being so far out into the middle of (seemingly) nowhere was awesome...mustering up my courage (I'm a bit shy at first) to meet new people is coming easier with each outing as I generally go with a group of much faster people and do the rides/races alone.

Anyway, there seemed to be about 200 riders out for a race that had no entry fee, no prizes and no support. We rolled out peloton style for about 7 miles—a neutral roll out which saved me I am sure. The pace was higher, but do-able. The road turned quickly to a supersharp driveway (essentially-it was a road, but very narrow and small) which designated the first climb. What a killer! The pavement went away after a gate and more climbing on leaves and rocks was under-way. The downhill that followed was a blast, I was doing pretty well until I heard my front tire blow out. Damn! My adrenaline and nervousness kicked in as I fumbled to change it as quickly as possible. The group, including my appointed (by me) riding partner flew by, never to be seen again.

Well I settled in and took a ginormous climb or two or three in stride and slowly and soon was back onto flat land headed to HWY 1. My map reading skills (we were all handed a laminated map to help not get lost on the small roads and trails) were lacking and I just wan't sure exactly were to turn. After waiting about 5 minutes another rider came along and we rode together.

My next enemy, headwind reared it's head as I tried to keep up and help pull the much stronger rider. Then, the rain came! WTF! Just minutes before I was on a ridge in 60 degree sun and now it's raining on me. I didn't have time to plop the arm-warmers back on and continued in short sleeve jersey. I was soon dropped by my riding partner, but picked up two more folks who I introduced myself to and joined for the remaining 15 miles or so.

The last climb seemed to go on forever, so a little walking was involved. Then just when I thought I couldn't take anymore, I saw Curtis parked by the final gate snapping my pic and cheering me onto the finish...Grabbed some more water, said hi to his dad and rolled onto the sweet paved downhill and finish line.

After the ride, Curtis said none other than Levi Leipheimer rolled up to him in full Astana gear and asked where the lead pack was! Crazy!

Damn fine. I wish Kirby, Steve, Grady and Johnoss could join me out on the next one...It's a true test of yourself and topped off with incredible views and great company. I'd like to thank the race organizers for a great day, a well organized event and a fun time...see you at the next one in a couple weeks


A little panorama from the day...

It's official, my time listed was 4:19, good enough for NOT last place! Looks like I was 112/~140...nowhere to go but up right??



I posted more pics on my Flickr page....

1 comment:

The Fun Park said...

That race sounded like a blast. Great work on your finish.

August baby....August.